This website is a log of my bicycling journey around the world.

Monday, June 02, 2008

05_30_08

Cycling Arizona

625 miles

My Location: Cortez, CO

US_004

Advertisements

Date: 06-06-08
Location: Cortez, CO

5:30-3:30 Kayenta, AZ - Cortez, CO (121 miles)

Would've been an easy ride if it weren't so long. Made good time despite a broken spoke causing rear wheel wobblage and the tire to rub against the break. My first experience at a KOA Kampground and I'm very impressed. It's like camping in your backyard, very neat, secure and everyone is friendly. Ii'm a hit at the smores fest with my Heath pieces.
The Mesa Verde cliff dwellings is located near Cortez, and I'll visit the site when my bike is fixed. I plan on being here through Wed. 6/11/08.


Date: 06-5-08
Location: Kayenta, AZ

7:30-2:00 Tuba City, AZ - Kayenta, AZ (75 miles)

An easy ride.

Kayenta AZ

Date: 06-04-08
Location: Tuba City, AZ

6:00-12:30 Grand Canyon, AZ - Tuba City, AZ (87 miles)

Winds picked up 1 hour into the ride. Local news gave warning of dusty, gusty wind throughout the state, up to 60 mph around Tuba City.

Tuba City wind 01

Date: 06-03-08
Location: Grand Canyon, AZ

6:30-2:00 Flagstaff, AZ - Grand Canyon, AZ (88 miles)

Riding up highway 180 from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon is one of the best rides so far. The south side of the mountain is lush and green, with beautiful trees and elk crossing. The mountain's north side is more arid, but still green.

Grand Canyon 02

Date: 06-01-08
Location: Flagstaff, AZ

8:00-3:00 Seligman, AZ - Flagstaff, AZ (76 miles)
Seligman is the beginning of a more green and lush Arizona, which got greener as I reached Flagstaff. A few hills heading into Flagstaff, but nothing too serious. I have yet to hit any steep hills, but Colorado should be different.
Date: 05-31-08
Location: Seligman, AZ

6:45-1:30 Kingman, AZ-Seligman, AZ (74 miles)

While riding on the highway shoulder, I suggest avoiding shredded tires. Not only can steel belted tires puncture your tube, but that shredded tire may actually be a rattlesnake going acroos the road. Ive had both of these problems.


Date: 05-30-08
Location: Kingman, AZ

5am-5pm Las Vegas, NV-Kingman, AZ (104 miles)

At Rosie's Den, 40 miles west of Kingman, I had pancakes. Two pancakes, the circumference of a medium pizza and 1/2 inch thick each, these were definitely the biggest I've ever eaten. Only two people are known to have finished both pancakes, and I'm not one of them.

Hoover

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home